Monday, August 13, 2007

First Day at Hope Foster Home



We had a wonderful day.

Last night Katie and MacLean watched High School Musical and then we headed to bed around 9pm. We have a fan and no air conditioning in our room but it was ok. A bit warm but we had a good night's sleep.

Just a wee bit of history about the hope Foster Home. Robin and Joyce Hill founded the Home in order to work alongside chinese Children's welfare Institutes to care for abandoned babies with specific medical needs. These babies are looked after at one of three units around China that they have set up within orphanages. Here in Beijing is the largest home and I believe that they currently have about 45 babies and toddlers here. The foundation finds money to get needed surgeries for these little ones and then hopefully most of them get adopted. They lost a number of toddlers in the last weeks due to adoption so that is wonderful. the children must go back to their "home" orphanage where they were registered in originally as babies. The nannies here are well trained and look after the children well There are a number of very wee babies and I think the olderst is maybe 3-4 years.

Today I met Joyce at 8:30 to find out my duties. MacLean and I are the only volunteers right now so we get to do lots of stuff. We started off by seeing the preschool where we will spend an hour or two each day. I am also doing background pages for the kids scrapbooks. MacLean and I worked on 8 pages for them today. It was loads of fun. We had 6 toddlers at the preschool and we set up some colouring and bingo dabbers, play doh, bubbles and floor toys. It was fun, Only two of the nannies stayed and we entertained the kids. They loved MacLean it was so sweet to see how great she was with the kids.

Before the preschool started we went into one of the playrooms to hang out. The nannies don't speak english and they kept speaking to macLean in chinese. I had to say that she only spoke english. Two of the girls were attached to macLean and they were fighting over her. I went over and spent time with a wee one on a mat. He looks to be 5-6 months old he has a couple of teeth. It was so much fun playing with them and cuddling them. Then at 11am we went to the dining hall for lunch. It was yummy, rice, noodles and some veggie dish with potatoes.

After lunch we went to the Hill's backyard pool for an hour and a half and it was so refreshing. Then back to the playroom to work on scrapbooks, about 3pm we tidied up and I took the girls back over to swim until 5pm. Then we came back to eat noodles, and relax in the lounge on the 2nd floor.

Great first day and enjoy the pictures of the beautiful place and countryside.
Shauna and MacLean

10 Comments:

At August 13, 2007 at 7:09 a.m., Blogger Lianne said...

LOVE those beautiful faces - those children are obviously well taken care of and happy. So glad the Press influence will be felt there, too, over the next couple of weeks.

Love ya!

Lianne, Bryanna and Cassidy

 
At August 13, 2007 at 8:33 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing experience you both are having and how nice that you can help as well.

The wee ones at this home look very well cared for - great to see.

Darlene, Emily and Kelly

 
At August 13, 2007 at 9:32 a.m., Blogger Alison said...

Hello Ladies,

It looks so nice at the foster home, what a cool looking playground, nice pool too!

Hope you are managing in the heat ok????? I can just see you with the fan about 3 inches from your face like when you were a teeenager Shauna!

Brooklyn is enroute with Melissa to meet Mom and Dad in Aurora. We had an awesome week!

Talk to you soon,

Love, Alison
xoxox

 
At August 13, 2007 at 11:00 a.m., Blogger Donna Paonessa said...

Wow, sounds awesome Shauna!!!

What's in the tent??

 
At August 13, 2007 at 12:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shauna,

I am addicted to your blog, as you knew I would be *grin*. Your photos are awesome as are your descriptions!! We are definitely going to Xi'an to see your Warrior "buddies" when we go for Quinn. I know my girls would love it!!

Those faces in the foster home are precious - I'm sure you and MacLean will get as much out of it as will the little ones that you are with. By the way, is the little guy I saw at that home? If so, give him a hug for me;-)

Those squats are "interesting" - I'll be like the kids, cheering when there is a "regular" toilet!! All part of the adventure, right?

Enjoy your time there and keep on blogging!! Take care,

Jane O.

 
At August 13, 2007 at 12:44 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna and MacLean!
Just returned from the cottage so this is my first look at your blog. All I can say is what an amazing adventure. Glad to here that you both are doing well. We'll continue to follow your trip. All the best!
Christine

 
At August 13, 2007 at 7:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had tears reading your blog today. How special you both are! Those children are adorable!

Hugs to you,
Pam

 
At August 13, 2007 at 7:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna and MacLean,
We are enjoying your story tremedously. The little girl holding on to the blue chair stole my heart. Could you please bring her home for me. I won't tell Geri until you arrive.. We will SURPRISE her!

Grant

 
At August 13, 2007 at 10:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shauna, I finally got to your blog... What an amazing journey you are having. I was just going to read a bit, but had to read it all before heading to bed. It sounds like you are having the most incredible time. And, you are doing a wonderful job communicating it!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip.. I will be following along..

Kathy (& Robin)

 
At August 14, 2007 at 5:39 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

the pictures and the stories are amazing - i am home from my "family reunion" in Ottawa - i'll fill you in when i get home but suffice it to say it was amazing.

Looking forward to hear more about the orphanage

love mel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home